Friday, March 30, 2012

Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus

Station Six
Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus
"Plaiting a crown of thorns they put it on his head, and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him they mocked him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!" And they spat upon him, and took the reed and struck him on the head. And when they had mocked him, they stripped him of the robe, and put his own clothes on him, and led him away to crucify him." (St. Matthew 27.29-31)

There is something about this station that always speaks to me. Just the thought of Veronica, emerging from the crowds to wipe Jesus' face, stirs a compassion deep within me. 
 
It's been a long day and I have only got to this blog now. I've spent the day in front of my laptop editing my film and have finally got the first cut done. I went with a friend to stations of the cross in the evening which was a much needed respite. It wasn't at my usual parish and so when I arrived and found there was a Mass before the stations, I was pleasantly surprised. I found myself having to switch into “Mass gear” but realised that I needn't do such a thing and being “out of gear” was probably a better and more honest approach. I was tired and I didn't feel stirred or moved by the liturgy but afterwards I knew that regardless of what I felt, just by being there, I had participated in something miraculous. I suppose, just like Veronica wiping the face of Jesus, receiving the Eucharist today unexpectedly has been an amazing gift, even if I am not fully aware of it.


Let us pray:
O Jesus , in this mirror of suffering, I also seek your face ...
O my Jesus, my suffering Savior, I see your face and I meet understanding, as I see my own pain and suffering reflected as if in a mirror.
I see, too, the faces of suffering humanity, waiting for a Veronica to show compassion and love.
Beauty is never hidden from those who love, they embrace the total person in the other.


"
Lord I seek your face, hide not your face from me."

No comments:

Post a Comment