Thursday, March 29, 2012

Simon Helps Jesus Carry the Cross

"And spitting upon him, they took the reed, and struck his head. And after they had mocked him, they took off the cloak from him, and put on him his own garments, and led him away to crucify him. And going out, they found a man of Cyrene, named Simon: him they forced to take up his cross." (St. Matthew 27.30-32)

The Fifth Station
Simon Helps Jesus Carry the Cross

I took a jammie shuttle today. It was peak hour traffic, pouring with rain and I needed to get to Rondebosch. Technically, I shouldn't be taking the jammie because I am not a UCT student but it is close, convenient, efficient and safe. Everything the public transport systems are not. Anyway, that's all besides the point. It took us about forty five minutes to get to upper campus by which stage, it was storming! I ran out to the bus shelter and stood there. It hardly made a difference seeking refuge because the wind was so strong that it was pretty much raining sideways. Finally, the rain died down a bit and I decided to take my chances. I started walking down the road and just ahead of me, coming the other way, was a girl (a student). She was barefoot and limping slightly and looked miserable. I considered whether I should ask if she was okay. I hesitated, but then decided I should. “Are you okay?” She stopped and said, “Not really.” I asked where she was going and she said she was just going to catch a jammie and then said, “thank you for asking.” and walked on. I realised that just my asking had meant something to her. Making that effort. So often I don't. It's amazing how easily I can switch off to the suffering of others and not just in relation to homeless people but to the people I pass everyday on the street. I remember once passing a girl sitting on the side of the road, her scooter on the ground next to her, broken. She had clearly had an accident and she was holding her ankle. I walked past thinking, oh, she looks fine, she's probably called someone to help already and I went on my way. Thinking back to that, I can't believe what I did. What if she had no phone? I didn't know if she had fallen off ten minutes or thirty seconds ago. Maybe she had no one to help her. Just to go out of my way for five seconds to ask if she was okay or if she needed help wouldn't have been the slightest inconvenience to me in the grand scheme of things but yet I didn't bother.

Simon of Cyrene was forced to carry Jesus' cross. Sometimes there are crosses that I don't want which I have to bear but other times I feel there are crosses that others need help with and I should step in gladly to help. But, most times, I'm afraid of disrupting my little world, emerging from my little bubble. I pray that God will give me that grace of compassion and caring so that I can be a Simon of Cyrene to those struggling with burdens too great to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment