Friday, April 6, 2012

Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross

Good Friday

The Thirteenth Station
Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross

"But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. He who saw it has borne witness -- his testimony is true, and he knows that he tells the truth -- that you also may believe. For these things took place that the scripture might be fulfilled, "Not a bone of him shall be broken." And again another scripture says, "They shall look on him whom they have pierced."   (St. John 19.34-37)

 It is Good Friday. And what a sombre and holy day it is. It has been a Christ filled day with stations of the cross in the morning after which I watched the Passion of Christ with some friends. The 3:00pm Mass straight after watching the Passion was really powerful. As the Passion was read from the Gospel according to John, I couldn't help but bring up the images of the film. 

As I reflect on the station, I contrast the brutality of the crucifixion to the loving tender way Jesus was taken down from the cross by Mary and the disciples. His mission is accomplished and now everyone waits in hope of the resurrection. 

Today I feel that hopeful weight (intentional homophone!). The weight is one of sorrow as I remember Christ's suffering and the hope lies in His resurrection. 

Now is the silence, the quiet and calm before the outburst of celebration and Easter begins.

Lord, I pray for all those being received into the Church tomorrow at the vigil. May you bless them with peace and the fullness of Your love and find a special dwelling place in their hearts as they receive Holy Communion for the first time. I ask this in your most precious name, Lord Jesus,  Amen.

O, most Sacred Heart of Jesus, we place all our trust in you.

Jesus, Lord, I ask for mercy
Let me not implore in vain
All my sins I now detest them
Never will I sin again


Let us pray:
O, my Mother, in this picture, in this mirror I see the dead body of your Son.

Looking at his lifeless body, I see my own death.

Death is a reality that we must all face, but I need the grace, the grace you possessed, Mary, to look beyond the passing reality of death to the greater reality of life everlasting; life forever beyond that pale shadow that has dogged us all our days and which, in an instant of unquenchable light, will vanish forever and with this valley of tears be remembered no more. This blighted presence of  the scandal of death is a shade, the flight of darkness itself from cruciform Light –  for "Dying, You destroyed our death"!
Mary, pray for me that I may cling to the promises of Christ and believe that they will be fulfilled within me, body and soul!
"Ego resuscitabo eum in novissimo die – I will raise him up on the last day." Your Son promised.
I believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment